Joint and Several Liability Can Work For or Against You

Posted by Richard P. Hastings | Oct 21, 2011 | 0 Comments

If you have been involved in a Waterbury, Connecticut car accident case you should have a number of questions that need to be answered right away. Get those answers now from attorneys who have decades of experience in obtaining money damages for injured people.

You should be aware that studies have shown that experienced lawyers can negotiate settlements and obtain judgments that are many times higher than what the injured parties can negotiate for themselves.   In other words, in most cases, you will do better after paying the lawyer than you would if you attempted to negotiate your own settlement with insurance company claims adjusters. Your personal injury case could be fraught with many different complications and issues which would make handling your case without hiring a lawyer very difficult. An example of one of those types of issues might include:

JOINT AND SEVERAL LIABILITY

The doctrine of joint and several liability holds that a number of defendants who engaged in separate and independent acts of negligence that combined to cause a single injury are held to be jointly and severally liable.  In other words, if one party was 1% at fault and the other parties were 99% at fault, the party who was 1% at fault could be held responsible for 100% of the damages suffered by the injured party.

The law of joint and several liability varies from state to state. A number of states have somewhat complicated variations or modifications of this rule.

After your car accident or personal injury, it is important that you get accurate and prompt legal advice. You need answers to your important

questions so you take the necessary steps to develop your case. Injured parties call us with many legal questions and accident related issues, which is why we wrote eBooks which are available for free. Contact us today at (888) 244-5480 for a free consultation. You have questions, we have the answers. Do not speak to anyone from the insurance company, do not hire an attorney and do not sign any papers until you read our free book. Don't delay. Get the information you need today.

About the Author

Richard P. Hastings

Attorney Hastings concentrates his practice on personal injury and litigation. Devoted to helping those who have suffered some type of wrong, Richard P. Hastings concentrates his law practice on personal injury law.

Comments

There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Sample

Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.

Let Us Fight for You

Local Presence. Statewide Coverage.

When you choose Hastings, Cohan & Walsh, LLP you will receive the one-on-one attention and individualized support that you deserve. Our Connecticut personal injury attorneys will not treat you as just another case number nor will we hand your case off to a paralegal.

Unlike other law firms, we will personally handle each legal aspect of your case, walking with you every step of the way. We aim to provide the highest quality representation possible. We have extensive experience and training in a variety of aspects of personal injury law. We obtain the knowledge and skill-set necessary to maximize your compensation.

440 Main Street
Suite 2

Ridgefield, CT 06877
203-438-7450
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm

Menu