No Matter What Occurred, a Ridgefield Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Due to the lack of protection afforded by a motorcycle, injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents are often much more severe than injuries sustained in other motor vehicle accidents. The high rate of catastrophic injuries and deaths occurring in motorcycle accidents makes it very important for motorcycle drivers to understand the most common causes of these accidents.
Approximately 75% of motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle. In most cases, the other vehicle is a passenger car. Many motorcycle accidents that do not involve other vehicles are still caused by a “near miss” with a vehicle that failed to respect the motorcycle's right of way.
To take action against the negligent driver who caused your motorcycle accident, don't hesitate to contact us today.
Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Other Drivers
Common causes of motorcycle accidents that are the fault of a negligent driver of another vehicle include:
- Driver failing to yield right of way to motorcycle.
- Vehicle makes a left hand turn and collides with a motorcycle in the process.
- Driver fails to see the motorcycle in his blind spot.
- Speeding or reckless driving.
- Alcohol use.
Motorcycle Accidents Caused by the Motorcyclist
There are also times when the motorcyclist is at fault for the accident. Common causes of motorcycle accidents resulting from operator error include:
- Rider inexperience (more than half of all motorcycle accidents occur when the motorcyclist has less than five months of riding experience)
- Motorcycle rider error such as over-braking or running wide on a curve due to speeding
- Lane splitting (driving between two lanes of stopped cars in a traffic jam)
- Alcohol use
In addition, many motorcycle accidents are made worse if the rider does not wear a helmet or the proper clothing. Helmets can significantly reduce your risk of a serious brain injury during a motorcycle accident. Wearing proper gear such as boots, gloves, and jackets can minimize the severity of lacerations, abrasions, and scrapes.
Other Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Some motorcycle accidents are caused by factors beyond the control of the motorcyclist or other drivers on the road. These include:
- Defective or malfunctioning motorcycles.
- Hazardous weather conditions.
- Poorly maintained roads.
Contact a Ridgefield Personal Injury Attorney
It is important that after an accident, you take action to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation that you deserve. We encourage you to work with our personal injury team as soon as possible. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident near Danbury, Waterbury, or New Haven, Connecticut, Hastings, Cohan & Walsh, LLP may be able to help.
Call us today at (203) 438-7450 to schedule your free initial consultation.