Can I Collect Money Damages In A Connecticut Hit And Run Accident Where The Other Driver Has Not Been Located?

It is surprising to learn how many people do not understand that they may be able to collect money damages even though they do not know the identity of the person who injured them in a CT hit and run accident. We have been contacted by individuals who have been seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident and they tell us that somebody got the license plate number of the vehicle that hit them but the police have not done anything that has resulted in the arrest of that individual.

Once we are retained, we contact the police department to find out the status of the investigation and why someone has not been arrested. We ask about any videotape surveillance cameras that were present in the area at the time of the accident and whether or not those tapes were viewed. We also asked to be updated as to any developments in the case and we report all of this information back to the client.

Depending upon the circumstances of each particular case, an injured party may very well have the ability to collect money damages through an insurance policy that is not related to the person that caused the accident. An injured party could access uninsured motorist coverage from any applicable insurance policy that is available to the injured person.

There are a number of different ways that this coverage could be accessed which might include, but not be limited to the following: if the injured party has a motor vehicle that is insured then the injured party could turn to their own motor vehicle insurance policy to access their uninsured motorist coverage which would apply in a hit-and-run situation. Additionally, if the injured party resides with a close family member then they may be able to access this family member's uninsured motorist coverage.

Many people are concerned about accessing their own insurance policy, or the policy of a family member because they do not want their insurance rates to go up. However, in Connecticut, an insurance company is not permitted to raise the rates of an insured who submits a non-fault claim.

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident then you should contact one of our experienced Connecticut injury attorneys at the earliest possible moment so that we can get involved with the case, contact the police department, have our private investigator determine what other evidence can be uncovered and investigate what insurance coverage might be available to compensate you for your injuries and damages.

You should contact us as soon as possible so that we can preserve your rights, protect your case, and help maximize the amount of money that you are able to get for your Connecticut hit and run case. The advice is free and without obligation so contact us today.