Who is going to pay my medical bills after my Connecticut motor vehicle accident case?

One of the most frequently asked questions we received from new clients, after they have been involved in a Connecticut motor vehicle accident, is who is going to pay my medical bills. This is an easy question with a somewhat complicated answer. Most people think that the at-fault party’s insurance company will pay their medical bills as they receive care and treatment but unfortunately, this is not the case.

If you have been involved in some type of a Connecticut motor vehicle accident then the first type of coverage you must turn to is any medical payment coverage that will be available through the vehicle that you were in at the time of the accident. So if you were in your car when you were hit by a negligent driver you would turn all of your medical bills over to your automobile insurance carrier if you had medical payments coverage. These bills would be paid up to your stated limit.

If your bills have been paid by automobile insurance carrier up to your med pay limit or if you do not have medical payments coverage available to you, you would turn all of your medical bills over to your health insurance carrier. It does not matter that this accident was caused by the fault of another, your health insurance carrier will pay your medical bills. It should be noted that before your health insurance carrier pays your bills you will have to provide the hospital, Doctor, or other medical facilities with a letter of no medical payment coverage from your automobile insurance company.

Naturally, you will be responsible for co-pays and deductibles as you receive care and treatment from the providers while submitting your bills to your health insurance carrier. In certain cases, we can get involved with your providers and have them agreed to wait until your case is resolved before getting paid your deductible and copayments.

If you do not have medical payments coverage and you do not have health insurance then in certain cases we can arrange to have you receive care and treatment under a letter of protection. A letter of protection is provided to a hospital, Dr. or medical facility that agrees to provide you with care and treatment and will defer receiving payment until such time as your case is resolved. This letter must be signed by both you and our law firm.

If you have any problems or questions regarding who is going to pay your medical bills or any other issues regarding your Connecticut accident case then please feel free to contact one of our CT personal injury lawyers and will be happy to discuss your case at length with you and specifically advise you as to what you should and should not be doing.

Do not make a mistake in attempting to handle your own Connecticut accident case unless and until you first speak with an experienced Connecticut accident attorney. We are happy to provide you with this information at no cost or obligation so contact us today.