You've Been Injured in a Connecticut Hit and Run Accident. Now What?

Sadly, hit and run accidents have been in the news often lately, and it is important to know what to do if you've been involved in a Connecticut hit and run accident. You could be driving or a passenger in a car or just crossing in a crosswalk when some hits you and drives away. Someone may have witnessed the accident and written down the license plate number, or perhaps you can give a description of the motor vehicle. It's possible no one was around and you were injured so badly that nothing is known about the vehicle that hit you. What are you supposed to do now and how can you possibly recover any loss you've endured?

You will want to make sure that the police are contacted and that anyone with any information about the accident gives a statement to the police. The police should conduct an extensive investigation, especially if you have been seriously injured or if someone has died, to locate the person that caused your accident. At some point in time the police will advise you that they have either located and arrested the individual that caused your accident or that they are unable to determine the identity of the hit and run driver. If the hit and run driver is identified and arrested then you, or hopefully an experienced Connecticut personal injury lawyer, can file a claim with the insurance company that insures the motor vehicle that hit you.

If the driver of the vehicle that hit you cannot be located or identified then you still can collect money damages for your injuries depending upon a number of factors. If you have a motor vehicle that is insured, then one of the coverage types that you will have available to you is under-insured motorist protection. This type of insurance protection covers you in the event that you are injured by another driver who does not have any type of motor vehicle insurance or if you are injured in a hit and run accident and the other driver cannot be located. In other words, your insurance company will step into the shoes of the at fault driver. You may also be able to access uninsured motorist protection if you live with a family member who has motor vehicle insurance.

Uninsured motorist coverage is like buying insurance protection for all other uninsured drivers on the roadway that cause you injury or for any hit and run driver that cannot be located by the police. Uninsured and under-insured motorist coverage, which protects people who have been injured through the fault of another driver who does not have sufficient limits of liability to adequately compensate you for your injuries and damages, is a somewhat complicated area of insurance law. You should never attempt to handle your own uninsured or under-insured motorist claim unless and until you first speak with an experienced Connecticut accident attorney.

Some people think that because they are submitting a claim to their own insurance company that their insurance carrier will take care of them without the need to hire a Connecticut injury attorney. You should never let the insurance company tell you what you are entitled to do or receive as compensation without first having a free consultation with an accident lawyer.

Our Connecticut accident attorneys are happy to provide you with information and advice. We can answer your questions over the phone or we can schedule a free consultation where you can meet with us, either in our office or at some other location if you were unable to travel, so we can review the facts of your case and specifically advise you as to what you should be doing and what you should not be doing.

We handle these cases on a contingency fee basis and advance the costs to develop your case. In other words, you do not have to come up with any money out of pocket to hire us and to represent you in your accident case. If there is no recovery, then you will owe us no legal fees and no costs. We take all of the financial risk so you can concentrate on what's most important which is recovering as quickly as possible from your accident related injuries.