The Person Who Caused The Connecticut Accident Has No Insurance. Now What?

Many people injured in Connecticut accidents each year find that they are not able to get properly compensated for their injuries and damages. Some people incur very high medical bills, lost income and have a tremendous amount of pain and suffering only to find out that the responsible party either does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to properly pay for their damages. There is a way that you can protect both you and your family from drivers that either do not carry any motor vehicle insurance at all or carry the minimum limits of liability (or minimum insurance coverage) that may not properly compensate you if you are seriously injured in an accident.

Uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage

It is called uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage and is sometimes referred to as UM/UIM motorist coverage. This type of insurance coverage can be used if you are involved in a hit and run accident and the other driver cannot be located, or if the driver of the vehicle does not have any insurance.

Uninsured motorist coverage may pay for your injuries and damages, up to the stated limits of liability, when you are injured in a car accident caused by another driver who does not have any motor vehicle insurance. Under-insured motorist coverage may pay for your injuries and damages, up to the stated limits of liability, when the at fault driver has liability limits that are too low to properly compensate you for your injuries and damages. In addition, certain resident relatives of your household may be eligible to elect to receive coverage under certain policy provisions as well. Meaning if you live in the same household as your mother and she is in a car accident caused by another driver, she may be able to receive compensation for her injuries under your under-insured motorist coverage in your motor vehicle policy.

Why is this type of motor vehicle coverage important?

This type of insurance is relatively inexpensive and is to protect you against other drivers out there on the road. It is in every policy of insurance issued in the State of Connecticut and you should make sure that you have significant limits of this particular type of insurance.

What is conversion coverage and is it necessary?

Another type of insurance coverage you should ask your car insurance company about is conversion coverage. Conversion coverage provides you with additional coverage for a very small amount of money. You should also make sure that you elect conversion coverage for your underinsured motorist protection. It is recommended that you obtain at least $300,000 worth of uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage but it would be better to obtain more. You should also look into obtaining excess liability or “umbrella insurance coverage”, which will provide you and your family with the ability, in some cases, to elect additional coverage.

You can call your insurance company and ask them more about what types of coverage you have and any other questions you may have regarding your car insurance.

If you are involved in a car accident in Connecticut it is very important that you first contact an experienced Connecticut car accident lawyer to have your questions answered. Do not attempt to discuss your case with the insurance adjuster until you first speak with a Connecticut car accident lawyer because you could harm your potential case and not get the proper compensation you deserve. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us (888) 244-5480.