I-95 in Connecticut is one of the most dangerous roadways that passes through our state. This highway sees many accidents where people are seriously injured and sadly, some don't live through their accident. This is due to many factors that include the following:
- The high levels of traffic
- The speed at which vehicles travel
- The fact that so many tractor-trailers and other large vehicles use this interstate
- The high levels of congestion
- The constant road work that is being performed and as a result of many other reasons
As Connecticut injury lawyers, our job at Hastings, Cohan, & Walsh, LLP is to ensure our clients' legal rights are protected. When another is to blame for your accident, you should not be forced to front the cost of your medical treatment and other bills. We can help you find financial compensation and the peace of mind that you deserve.
Where Does I-95 Travel?
I-95 enters Connecticut at the southern end of the state through Port Chester, New York where it enters Greenwich, Connecticut. It then passes through Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford, Orange, West Haven, New Haven, East Haven, Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, East Lyme, Waterford, New London, Groton, Stonington, and North Stonington, at which point it crosses into the Rhode Island.
Major Accidents That Have Occurred on I-95
In 1983, two major disasters happened on I-95 in Connecticut one involving a truck, that experienced brake failure, which slammed into a number of motor vehicles waiting to pay a toll in Stratford which killed seven people. This accident was the driving force behind Connecticut removing toll booths some six years later.
Additionally, in June 1983, a section of the Mianus River bridge, in Cos Cob, collapsed which killed three people. The amount of traffic which passes through Connecticut on I-95 makes it the most traveled roadway in the state of Connecticut.
Many variables contribute to the high number of accidents on I-95 in Connecticut. These include some or all the following:
- The large amount of traffic that passes through this interstate
- I-95 has far more exits than most interstate highways, and this is particularly so in both Fairfield and New Haven counties
- The speed at which vehicles travel
- The size of the vehicles that pass over this interstate
- The construction, maintenance and highway work that is ongoing on a regular basis
- Motor vehicle operators who engage in distracted driving behavior
- Elderly drivers and less experienced drivers who tend to have more accidents than the general population
- Drunk and drugged drivers who operate on this busy interstate
- People who violate motor vehicle laws;people or companies whose vehicles are in a state of disrepair
- Other reasons regarding other third party causes or the negligent operation of someone's motor vehicle
What Should I Do After an Accident?
So what are some of the things that you should be doing after you have been injured in an accident on I-95? Below, we list some very important tips to keep in mind following a collision.
- To the extent that it is safe to do so and you are able, take as many pictures as possible of the accident site. Include photos of the motor vehicles involved, the identifying information of the vehicles, the identifying information of any witnesses, and any and all other photographic evidence that you can obtain to assist your Connecticut personal injury lawyer in developing your case.
- Tell the police officer why the other party was at fault. If you are not feeling well or are otherwise physically injured, insist upon being taken to the nearest hospital by ambulance. Make sure that you tell the doctors at the hospital about each and every problem which you are experiencing and follow up with any discharge instructions. Schedule appointments with other appropriate doctors so you can be checked, monitored and advice as to what follow-up care you should receive.
- After your I-95 accident, contact an experienced Connecticut accident attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can offer legal advice so that you can find out what you should be doing, what you should not be doing, how you can get better medical care, how you can get better quicker, how you can develop your lost wage claim, as well as other practical information that can help build value for your Connecticut accident case.
- You will probably be contacted by an insurance adjuster who will be representing the insurance company of the driver that caused your accident. Do not speak with the adjuster and certainly do not give a recorded statement. If you are contacted by this adjuster, simply tell this individual that you are consulting with a lawyer and you have nothing to say at that particular time. If you give a recorded statement or otherwise provide information to the insurance adjuster then you could seriously reduce the value of your case or you might otherwise destroy it altogether.
Do Not Wait – Contact Us!
Our Connecticut personal injury lawyers and accident attorneys are happy to provide injured parties and their family with free legal advice. Please call our toll-free number at (888) 244-5480 and get your questions answered over the telephone or schedule a free, no-obligation consultation where we will be happy to meet with you and specifically advise you as to what you should be doing. You can also download our free Connecticut accident and injury law book, you can watch our videos, read our articles, and get other valuable free information.
Hastings, Cohan & Walsh LLP takes these cases on a contingency-fee basis. We also advance the costs to develop your case. We are only paid a fee and recover our costs if we collect money damages for you. If there is no recovery then you will owe us no legal fees and no costs. We take all of the financial risks so you can concentrate on what's most important: getting better as quickly as possible.
Contact us today before you make a mistake in attempting to handle your own I-95 Connecticut accident case.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment