A Connecticut truck accident can be one of the most terrifying experiences any person goes through. Because of the sheer size and weight of a semi-truck, any accident involving one usually includes horrible injuries and possibly wrongful death. With this in mind, our Connecticut truck accident attorneys have put together 10 quick tips for avoiding truck accidents to try to help keep our community safe.
1. Follow traffic signals and signage -- abiding by the proper speed limit, signage, and all traffic lights is a great way to keep you and your family safe
2. Don't drive in truck blind spots -- tractor-trailers have very large blind spots, so always beware of them and don't drive alongside a truck while in their blind spot; pass them quickly
3. Never abruptly change lanes in front of a truck -- a truck's weight and speed couple together to create a huge amount of inertia, so it may not be able to stop if you change lanes suddenly in front of it
4. Watch a tractor-trailer's turning radius -- sometimes a truck needs a wide berth to complete a turn at an intersection, so beware of this and don't get your car squished as it turns
5. Travel at a safe distance -- give a semi-truck a larger following distance than you would a car to avoid a sudden stop or even the truck spitting back rocks and other debris
6. Utilize your turn signals -- a truck needs warning that you may be entering the lane in front of them
7. Uphill safety -- when a truck is heading uphill, it may travel backwards slightly as it changes gears, so give it plenty of space
8. Exercise caution when passing a truck -- keep in mind that it will take longer to pass a semi-truck than a regular car, so be careful when passing them, especially if you have to cross a dotted yellow line to do so
9. Be aware of the weather -- inclement weather can cause a tractor-trailer to slip, slide, or swerve when they otherwise wouldn't have, so be cautious when the roads are wet, slippery, or icy
10. Watch for aggressive driving behavior -- if a truck driver appears to be driving aggressively, it is safer to stay behind them and steer clear of the dangerous driving
Injuries Associated with Semi-Truck Accidents
While any accident is cause for concern, a tractor-trailer accident often results in very severe damage and horrible injuries. Our attorneys have helped members of our Connecticut community seek legal help after they've been injured for decades. Oftentimes, these injuries are so serious that you may be out of work for weeks, months, or even permanently. When this occurs, our personal injury lawyers will strive to ensure that you get coverage that will last as long as you need. In order to be certain that we're getting you the proper amount of compensation, our attorneys will do any or all of the following:
- Seek evidence -- we will find police reports, photographs, and witness accounts of what happened in your accident to prove who was at fault and the damages that were sustained. We will also have the semi-truck inspected to determine if the accident was caused by negligent truck maintenance.
- Determine what may have caused the accident -- this may include determining if driver fatigue or even texting-while-driving were the reason for the semi-truck driver's negligence.
- Consult with medical staff -- our lawyers will discuss your injuries with your physician to determine how serious they are and how long you'll be suffering because of them.
- Seek expert witness testimonies -- we will get information from expert witnesses to help us determine how much you may need to cover the property damages you sustained along with your injuries, rehabilitation, and possible loss of future income and benefits.
- Call upon past experience -- our attorneys have seen every type of accident case that exists. There is nothing that surprises us and we will draw upon our experience to help us present your case in the best possible manner.
Our Truck Accident Attorneys Can Help
We hope that these tips will help you and your family avoid being involved in a Connecticut truck accident, but if the worst should happen, please contact our attorneys for help. At Hastings, Cohan & Walsh, LLP, we have over 70 years of combined experience and can use this to help you and your family seek compensation if you've been in an accident. We can seek the maximum financial amount to help you and yours get back on your feet. Call us today by filling out the form on this page or calling us at 888-244-5480. We will help answer all of your questions about truck accidents and determine if you have grounds for a lawsuit.