As motorists who share the roads, we all have obligations to obey the law, including carrying certain minimum coverage levels on our motor vehicle insurance policies. Unfortunately, if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who does not carry the minimum level of insurance, you may need to seek claims through legal channels. Please contact our Norwalk attorneys at Hastings, Cohan & Walsh, LLP at (877) 801-6202 today to arrange your free case evaluation.

What is an underinsured motorist?

Under Connecticut law, all drivers must carry motor vehicle insurance with the following minimum coverage levels:

  • Bodily injury liability insurance of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident
  • Property damage liability insurance of at least $10,000 per accident

Some drivers, however, refuse to carry insurance, or if they do, carry less than the legally required amount. And even if a driver does carry the minimum amount, the required levels of insurance are rarely sufficient to fully compensate victims of motor vehicle accidents.

How is liability determined?

Underinsured and uninsured motorist claims are handled like other kinds of claims in that negligence is assigned if a person is found to have acted in a manner that’s inconsistent with what would be expected of a “reasonable” person. Defining reasonableness isn’t always easy, which is why retaining the services of an experienced attorney is so important.

What kinds of compensation can I receive?

An underinsured motorist who is found liable for personal injuries and property damage you sustain in an auto accident may be responsible for any or all of the following kinds of damages.

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages and benefits
  • Property damages
  • Emotional stress, including embarrassment and depression
  • Disability or disfigurement
  • Strains on family relationships

In some cases, you may be required to submit a claim to your own insurance company under the underinsured motorist coverage provision before any additional damages can be recovered from the negligent party. We advise all motorists to carry uninsured and underinsured coverage on their automobile insurance policies.

If an underinsured motorist has caused you or a loved one to suffer damage, it’s time to learn how an experienced lawyer can help. Please contact the Norwalk attorneys of Hastings, Cohan & Walsh, LLP at (877) 801-6202 today to schedule your free consultation.