A slip & fall accident is something that occurs when you believe the surface you’re walking or working on should be safe and, in reality, it is actually unsafe and you injure yourself in a fall. This can occur at work, when you’re at another establishment, in hotels, or even out on the town.
If you’ve suffered a slip & fall accident, you may have recourse to file a lawsuit. Our Connecticut injury attorneys will work to determine if the surface you were on should have been more secure or if there should have been warnings about a possibly slippery surface. Using this information, we can determine if you are right in filing a lawsuit. Call Hastings, Cohan & Walsh today for help with your case. You can reach us at (877) 801-6202.
How Do Slip & Fall Accidents Happen
A slip and fall accident can be defined as damages to an injured party as a result of negligence or fault of another party. Slip and fall cases can take place from temporary or permanent conditions either outside of a building, inside of a building, or on land. The cause of a slip and fall accident can range from spilled liquid to a broken piece of slab on a side walk. The five major reasons for slip and fall accidents are:
- Lack of slip-resistant floors – property owners have a legal responsibility to ensure that the walking surfaces on their premise are safe for pedestrians under conditions reasonably expected
- Poor walking surfaces – if a walking surface is poorly maintained, there may be loose threads, curling corners, mats that are too think, and other surfaces that can cause a fall
- Poor visibility – it is required to have good lighting on a walking surface and to have visible signage if there is a dangerous surface
- Stairs – must be built to code and properly maintained; also must be well-lit
- Handrails – must be built to code, easy to grip, and maintained properly
Slip-and-Falls Because of Weather
In the harsh elements of Connecticut, it is very possible to suffer a slip-and-fall accident because of the snow or ice. If this happens because a person hasn’t properly maintained their property, you may still be entitled to file a lawsuit. If you have been involved in an accident involving black ice or snow and ice you need to take pictures, if possible, at the time and of the place of the accident to show what caused the accident.
Compensation For Your Slip & Fall Accident
It is very important to contact a slip and fall attorney as soon as possible after your accident. The quicker you contact us, the faster we can give assistance on the case. By giving any statements or signing any authorizations, you can possibly cause a negative impact on your slip and fall case. Our team will work tirelessly to get you compensation for the following:
- Medical care and related expenses, past and future
- Income lost because of slip and fall accident, past and future
- Permanent physical, disability or disfigurement
- Loss of family, social, and educational experiences due to injuries sustained from your slip and fall accident.
- Emotional damages, such as stress, embarrassment, depression, or strain on family relationships incurred by your slip and fall accident
- Punitive damages (in extraordinary cases)
- Damaged property due to your slip and fall accident
How Do I Start My Slip & Fall Case
To begin your case, please contact our team so we can start evaluating your case. Our Connecticut accident lawyers will advance all of the costs and expenses of your slip and fall case, including expert investigations. Once we’ve won your case for you, we will repay ourselves of whatever fees we advanced. We only take any payment if we win an award or settlement for you. Call Hastings, Cohan & Walsh today at (877) 801-6202.