440 Main Street | Ridgefield, CT 06877

Drunk Driving Accidents – Connecticut DUI Lawyer

Bridgeport, Norwalk, Danbury, Ridgefield, Stamford, Connecticut

Drunk Driving Accidents – Connecticut Drunk Driving Attorney

If you or someone you know has been involved in a drunk driving accident in Connecticut in which a person was charged with driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), our DUI lawyers can assist with your claim. We are here to help you effectively manage your case. All of our cases are managed on a contingency fee basis. We do not ask for any money or fees for your case up front. Our attorneys will only collect fees and expenses if money is recovered from your drunk driving accident case.

1. How Common Are Drunk Driving Accidents?

In 2009, the United States had 11,769 fatalities due to drunk driving accidents. Surprisingly, 3 out of every 10 people will have an accident involving a drunk driver at least once in their life. In the United States, a drunk driving accident will occur every 45 minutes.

2. If I Have Been In a Drunk Driving Accident, What Should I Do?

If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident in Connecticut, it is vital to contact our DUI  attorney. It is imperative that you not do anything to harm your case in any way. This may include signing authorizations or giving statements. Is it important to know your rights before you do something to have a negative impact on your case which could result in the dismissal of your drunk driving accident case.

3. What Damages Might I Be Able to Receive From My Drunk Driving Accident?

You are entitled to receive compensation for injuries or damages resulting from the drunk driving accident. The compensation could include past and future medical expenses, past and future loss of income, pain and suffering, and in certain instances a claim for loss of consortium. There are many ways to find liability against not only the driver at fault for the drunk driving accident but against others, which could include but not be limited to:

Connecticut Dram Shop Liability- Connecticut General Statutes Section 30-102- The Dram Shop Act “authorizes a cause of action against anybody who sells alcoholic liquor to an intoxicated person who in turn causes injury to another person or property, due to their intoxication.” The law also states that the maximum you can get for compensation is $250,000 per injured person or $250,000 aggregate per incident. It also states that if the intoxicated person is already 21 years of age and injures someone or damages their property in a drunk driving accident the injured party cannot sue the seller for negligence only for claims under the Dram Shop Act (If the person who is sold alcohol is a minor and injures someone or their property the injured person, possibly in a drunk driving accident, can sue the seller for both negligence and under the Dram Shop Act).

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage- Many drivers in the US are uninsured or underinsured, so what are you to you are in a drunk driving accident and the drunk driver is uninsured or underinsured hits you? Because of situations like that Connecticut requires insured drivers to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in which your insurer will compensate you when the insured driver cannot. Your insurance will cover you under Sec. 38a-334-6(a) which states: The insurer shall undertake to pay on behalf of the insured all sums, which the insured shall be legally entitled to recover as damages from the owner or operator of an uninsured OR underinsured motor vehicle because of bodily injury sustained by the insured caused by an accident involving the uninsured or underinsured motor vehicle. This coverage shall insure the occupants of every motor vehicle to which the bodily injury liability coverage applies.

There are additional potential claims if a drunk driving accident injures a person. If the owner of the car negligently entrusted the vehicle to the drunk driver, the owner of the car could be sued for negligent entrustment as it relates to the drunk driving accident. To claim damages against someone under a theory of negligent entrustment, it must be proven that (1) the owner entrusted their automobile to someone who was knowingly incompetent and (2) that the vehicle was the proximate cause of the drunk driving accident or injury. Therefore, if the owner of car loans their vehicle to someone they know is too drunk to drive, and is the cause of a drunk driving accident claim may be filed against them.

4. How is Liability Determined in a Drunk Driving Accident Case?

The most critical issue in many personal injury cases is how a “reasonable person” would or should be expected to act in the situation which caused the injury. A jury must decide if a person has met the “reasonable person standard” through evidence presented and a trial. This is just one reason to contact us to help move your drunk driving accident case in the right direction.

5. What Compensation Might I Receive If My Drunk Driving Accident Case is Successful?

A person, who is found liable for the drunk driving accident and injury, generally speaking his or her liability insurance company, must pay an injured person for:

  • Past and future medical attention
  • Past and future loss of income due to injury and accident
  • Long term and permanent physical disability
  • Long term and permanent disfigurement
  • Loss of ability to enjoy life’s activities
  • Loss of family, social, and educational activities
  • Increase of emotional damages: stress, harassment, embarrassment, depression
  • Punitive Damages (Extreme scenarios)
  • Damaged or destroyed Property

6. How Do I Go About Getting Experts To Help Me With My Drunk Driving Accident Case?

Our drunk driving lawyer may hire experts who can help your case. Experts may include a private investigator, Accident Reconstruction Specialist or a field sobriety expert.

7. Who Will Pay The Expenses of Hiring All Of These Drunk Driving Accident Related Experts?

Our firm does not ask for money out of pocket. If you collect any money at the conclusion of your drunk driving accident case, our DUI lawyer will be reimbursed as necessary for our costs. If no money is claimed, you do not owe us anything for the drunk driving accident case; all fees will be covered by us. You only pay us if you are awarded a settlement amount.

Our Connecticut DUI lawyers have offices located in or near Bloomfield, Bridgeport, Danbury, East Haven, Georgetown, Hamden, New Fairfield, Newtown, Ridgefield, & Stamford, Connecticut. Please, click here for directions and more information.

Get Your Questions Answered Today: 1 (888) CTLAW-00 | contact@hcwlaw.com