If you have been seriously injured in any type of accident, then you will be looking to hire a personal injury lawyer who has the experience, knowledge, training, and a track record in handling cases such as yours. You want to make sure that you feel comfortable with the accident attorney you interview. You want to make sure that all of your questions are answered to your complete satisfaction. You want to make sure that you have a complete understanding as to what is expected of you and what you need to be doing to help maximize the amount of money that you can get for your accident or injury case. So what five questions should you ask before hiring a Connecticut car accident lawyer?
1. What is your experience in handling cases such as mine and what types of law do you practice?
First and foremost you will want to make sure that you are hiring a specialist and not a generalist. You will want to hire an attorney who specializes in personal injury law. You do not want to hire a lawyer that practices personal injury law and bankruptcy law and divorce law and real estate law and criminal law, and other types of general practice areas.
You will want to find a lawyer who limits his or her practice to representing individuals who have been injured in a variety of accidents. You will also want to make sure that the person has a lot of experience in representing people who have had the same type of case that you do. Make sure you ask lots of questions about the types of cases and the results that the attorney has obtained for his or her clients.
2. What is the process of developing a personal injury case and what is expected of me?
You will want to have a complete understanding as to what is involved in developing your personal injury case. Ask your attorney these questions:
- What doctors do I need to be seeing?
- What should you be telling them?
- How do you develop your lost wage claim?
- What lawyer or lawyers will be handling your case?
- What precisely do you need to be doing? How long will it take to resolve my case?
It is also important that you develop a comfort level with the attorney and are confident in that individual's ability to zealously represent you.
3. How do I pay for your services and how frequently will you be in contact with me?
You want to make sure that your case is taken on a contingency fee basis and that you do not have to pay any money for legal fees unless and until the lawyer collects monetary damages for you. You will also want the Connecticut accident attorney to advance the costs to develop your case and you'll want to make sure that those costs will only be repaid if they collect money damages for you.
You will also want to find out:
- How frequently will the lawyer communicate with you?
- How will a lawyer be communicating with you?
- How often will you be meeting with a lawyer?
- If you need to see your lawyer how quickly can you arrange a meeting?
- Can you have the lawyer's cell phone number in case questions come up after hours?
- How available is the lawyer to answer questions which you have?
- On average, how long will it take you to get back to me?
- Will I be dealing directly with you or members of your staff?
4. What honors, awards or special recognition have you and/or your law firm received?
It is important to find out what honors, awards or special recognition this personal injury lawyer or the firm has received. What types of ratings do they have? Have they been recognized as being in the top of all attorneys in their area of practice? Have they written any books on the subject of personal injury cases? Do they teach classes to other lawyers who practice personal injury law? How do they rate against other personal injury lawyers?
5. Why should I hire you over other personal injury attorneys?
You will want to carefully listen to the answer that is provided to you because this is where you can develop a sense of comfort with this lawyer's abilities. How comfortable are you with this answer? How confident are you now in this lawyer's ability? What, in your mind, makes this attorney stand out? Is this somebody that you would feel comfortable hiring to represent your interests in your important personal injury case?
Our Connecticut personal injury lawyers are happy to meet with you to go over the facts of your case and specifically advise you as to what you should and should not be doing. Contact us now to get started with a free consultation.